Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Beauty Inside

By Hazel Holland




Remembering how much fun it was teaching geology to my elementary school students years ago, I thought I would try my hand at altered watercolor art.   So I painted this abstract watercolor and then altered it to create what you would see if you cut a geode in half.   I'm pleased with my first attempt!

If you didn't know what you were looking for it would be really easy to pass up a geode.  For it just looks like some rough, brownish-gray lump of rock that you wouldn't look at twice... that is until you get to look inside and see the marbleized wonder that happened beneath the surface of the earth.

I love geodes because they remind me of people... especially the beauty that lies hidden below the surface inside each one of us.  Sometimes it takes the hard knocks of life for us to get past the discomfort of being seen for who we really are.

And we are the most beautiful to God when we take off our masks and allow Him to hold us close to His heart.  For He sees past our rough exterior and ugly outer defenses.  He sees the Pearl of great price that He has been looking for.  We are worth everything to Him! 

To see a larger copy of this art print click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment