Saturday, June 22, 2013

Field of Dreams

By Hazel Holland


I began this impressionistic watercolor with the idea of painting a nest of bird's eggs hidden in the tall grasses. I wanted it to be a loving tribute to the loyalty of the mother quail that I observed in my back yard for many weeks.  Apparently she found a safe place to build a nest in the tall grasses that grew behind my garage, and she refused to be sidetracked or intimidated by anything.  Her only mission was to focus all of her time and attention on keeping her eggs warm until her fifteen dream babies would hatch...

I'm sure that when the quail discovered that little hill of tall grasses growing behind my garage, they saw it as a "field of dreams".  The surrounding weeds didn't bother them at all.  They only saw a safe place, hidden from view, where they could build a nest and be fruitful as God intended.

Even though I have big dreams to create another English garden in my back yard, parts of it still look more like a field of weeds than a field of dreams.  Of course I know it will take time to make my dreams a reality.  As I was thinking about this, I was reminded of the Scripture that tells us that we are God's field.  

Yes, He has planted us in His field so that together we will produce much fruit for His kingdom.  Daily we have unmistakable evidence that the kingdom of God dwells within us and is among us.  We have been planted by the Lord for the display of His splendor so that the aroma of His grace may spread to the uttermost parts of His field.♥

 (Scripture references: 1Corinthinas 3:9; Isaiah 61:3.  The nest of bird's eggs will become another painting!)

To see a larger copy of this art print click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment