Sunday, May 6, 2012

Brothers Are For Keeps!

By Hazel Holland


I thought that I would try and draw a pastel of Jake, my three-and-a-half-year-old (in June) grandson kissing his baby brother, Max, who will be a week old tomorrow.  Well, as you can see, I not only overshot the mark by at least a year, but I didn't get Jake's lips close enough to Max's face to pull off the kiss, either!  Ugh!!!  When you draw a picture with pastels there's no erasing.  What's done is done!

My intention wasn't to try and draw a picture where these boys actually looked like my grandsons, because I don't yet have a picture of them taken together.  That will happen this week!  But I just couldn't wait to get a picture!  So I decided to draw a picture of them today to send to Jake as a reminder of how much I love him and his baby brother, Max! 

Maybe this picture will help Jake understand that before he knows it Max will be sitting up by himself.  Then a year from now he will be running around the house, getting into Jake's toys, and challenging Jake as to who got the truck first! 

Although I was artistically challenged to get a kiss planted on a baby's face, perhaps I succeeded in showing Jake that one day he and his baby brother Max may be in each others' faces like this drawing suggests.  There may be times when they disagree as to who gets the last cookie, or whose turn it is to go first...  I'm sure they'll be able to resolve their differences when they remember that brothers are for keeps!!! ♥ ♥ ♥

See: Face to Face

No comments:

Post a Comment