Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Unfinished Business

By Hazel Holland


"He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

I just came across this unfinished oil that I began painting many years ago. As you can tell from the expression on the little girl's face she is sad because her toy is broken. Her dog is trying to console her by offering her the comfort of his love through this difficult time.

I remember feeling like this little girl many times back then because my life was broken and I didn't know how to fix it. I longed for someone to offer me the comfort of their presence... someone who would be with me through the rough times.

Even though I didn't know that Someone intimately back then, Jesus was holding me in the palm of His hand as He carefully began putting the pieces of my life back together. Others may leave me, but He would be with me forever.

I think I will leave this oil painting unfinished to remind myself and others that God has not finished painting on the canvas of our lives, either. His promise to us is that the good work He began in us He will complete.

Although at times when we look at our lives we may feel like we are incomplete, we can know for a certainty that we are complete in Him. So let's let go of the nagging temptation to trust in the unfinished work of the Holy Spirit in our lives as the basis of our acceptance with God.

God accepts us on the basis of Christ's finished work on the cross, NOT on the basis of what the Holy Spirit does in our hearts. However, He tells us that He will complete the unfinished business in our hearts so that we can be confident that the One who began this good work in us will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.

God's promise is sure. You are complete in Him, but He isn't finished with you yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment